In this article, I am going to provide a list of Indicate synonyms, another word for Indicate, Example Sentences with Indicate and Antonyms for Indicate.
Indicate, a versatile word in the English language, carries the essence of pointing out, signifying, or suggesting something. It is the linguistic tool we employ to draw attention, making thoughts, ideas, or directions clear. For example, a compass needle boldly indicates the direction north, guiding travelers even in the most remote locations. In this blog post, we delve into the origins, real-world applications, synonyms, antonyms, and practical examples of the word “indicate.”
Check also: Hurricane Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
Source: English As A Second Language
Origin and History of “Indicate”
The word “indicate” traces its roots to the Latin word “indicatus,” which means “to point out” or “to declare.” Over centuries, it evolved through Old French and Middle English, embedding itself deeply in the English language. The concept of indicating gained prominence in various fields, including science, linguistics, and everyday communication.
Real-World Examples of Indicate
1. The weather vane atop the barn boldly indicates the direction of the wind. In this scenario, “indicate” highlights how the weather vane serves as a visual indicator, providing valuable information about wind direction to farmers and meteorologists alike.
2. The professor used visual cues to indicate key points during the lecture. Here, “indicate” emphasizes the professor’s use of gestures or illustrations to convey important concepts, aiding students’ understanding through visual representation.
List of Indicate Synonyms (Another Word for Indicate)
Here is the list of Indicate Synonyms:
- Suggest: Implying a possibility or providing a subtle indication, often encouraging further thought or investigation.
- Demonstrate: Showing or proving a point through visible evidence or practical examples, making a concept evident.
- Reveal: Unveiling or disclosing information, making it known to others, often indicating something previously hidden.
- Specify: Clearly defining or identifying particular details, leaving no room for ambiguity or misunderstanding.
- Imply: Indirectly suggesting or hinting at something without explicitly stating it, relying on context or inference.
List of Antonyms for Indicate
Here is the list of of opposite words for Indicate:
- Conceal: To hide or keep something secret, opposite of indicating or revealing information.
- Obscure: To make unclear, vague, or ambiguous, masking the intended meaning or direction.
- Mislead: To provide false or deceptive information, leading others away from the accurate or intended indication.
- Confuse: To bewilder or perplex, causing misunderstanding and hindering clear indication or communication.
- Withhold: To deliberately hold back or keep something from being indicated or revealed, maintaining secrecy or reservation.
Example Sentences with Indicate
Here is a list of example sentences with Indicate:
- His smile indicated his approval of the idea.
- The traffic signals indicate when to stop and go.
- The map indicates the location of the nearest gas station.
- Her gesture indicated her desire to leave the conversation.
- The compass needle indicated the direction toward the North Pole.
- The professor indicated the key points for the upcoming exam.
- The rising temperature indicated the approach of summer.
- The detective indicated the suspect in the lineup.
- The weather forecast indicated a chance of rain later in the day.
- The blinking light indicated a problem with the device.
- The mood of the room indicated a sense of anticipation.
- His tone of voice indicated his frustration with the situation.
- The road signs indicated the way to the nearest town.
- The survey results indicated a high level of satisfaction among customers.
- The footprints indicated the path taken by the lost hiker.
Recap of what we just learned
- Indicate Definition
- Indicate Meaning
- Origin of Indicate
- Real World Examples of Indicate
- Indicate Synonyms
- Indicate Antonyms
- Sentences for Indicate
In language and life, indication serves as a guiding light, illuminating the path toward understanding, clarity, and direction. Synonymous with words like “denote” and “suggest,” indication encapsulates the essence of communication, fostering effective dialogue and comprehension. Conversely, antonyms like “conceal” and “mislead” emphasize the importance of transparency and honesty in conveying accurate information. As we navigate the complexities of language, recognizing the various facets of indication enriches our communication skills, ensuring our messages are conveyed with precision and intent.
If you really enjoyed the article “What are Indicate Synonyms?,” then I would be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Have you read “Example Sentences with Indicate?“ Which of these blogs are you reading, and how is it similar to one of them?
- Improvement Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Impressive Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Intense Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Inspire Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Insight Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Impactful Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Incredible Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Interest Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Importance Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Implement Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Identify Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Issue Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Information Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Idea Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Influence Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Impact Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Improve Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences