In this article, I am going to provide a list of General synonyms, another word for General, Example Sentences with General and Antonyms for General.
The term “general” is a versatile word with various meanings and applications in the English language. It can refer to a military rank, a broad category, or something that is widespread or universal. For instance, a military general leads troops into battle, while a general store offers a wide range of products. But is there another word that can capture these diverse meanings effectively? In this blog post, we’ll explore the origin and history of the word “general,” provide real-world examples of its usage, list synonyms and antonyms, and share short sentences that showcase its versatility.
Check also: Forlorn Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
Source: English As A Second Language
Origin and History of “General”
The word “general” has its origins in Latin, deriving from the word “generalis,” which means “pertaining to a whole class or group.” Over time, it found its way into the English language with similar connotations of universality and inclusiveness.
In the context of military usage, “general” has been a rank of leadership for centuries. In ancient Rome, the title “general” (or “imperator”) was bestowed upon military commanders with the highest authority. The term’s evolution from a broad reference to a specific military rank reflects its adaptability in language.
Real-World Examples of General
- Military Leadership: The general led his troops with unwavering determination into a crucial battle, a symbol of leadership and strategic prowess.
- Retail Store: The general store in the small town offered a wide variety of goods, from groceries to hardware, catering to the diverse needs of the community.
List of General Synonyms (Another Word for General)
Here is the list of General Synonyms:
- Universal 🌎: Applicable or common to all, without exception.
- Common 🧑🤝🧑: Prevalent or widespread among a group or population.
- Overall 📊: Relating to the entire situation or context.
- Comprehensive 📘: Covering all aspects or elements of a subject.
- Generic 💬: Characteristic of a broad category rather than something specific.
- Widespread 🌍: Prevalent or found over a large area or among many people.
- Global 🌐: Relating to the entire world or planet.
- All-encompassing 🔄: Including everything or leaving nothing out.
- Collective 🤝: Involving or shared by all members of a group or community.
- Inclusive 🤗: Embracing or accommodating all individuals or elements.
Check also: What are the characteristics of living things?
List of Antonyms for General
Here is the list of of opposite words for General:
- Specific 🎯: Pertaining to a particular thing or detail rather than a broad category.
- Particular 📌: Concerning a specific person, thing, or circumstance.
- Individual 🧍♂️: Relating to a single person, item, or entity.
- Unique 🌟: One-of-a-kind, distinct, or unmatched.
- Specialized 🛠️: Focused on a specific area of expertise or knowledge.
- Exclusive 🚫: Restricted or limited to a select group or category.
- Narrow 🌄: Limited in scope or width, lacking breadth.
- Tailored ✂️: Customized or adjusted for a specific purpose or individual.
- Partisan 🗳️: Relating to a specific political party or faction.
- Limited 🔒: Restricted in quantity, extent, or scope.
Example Sentences with General
Here is a list of example sentences with General:
- The general consensus among scientists is that climate change poses a significant threat to our planet.
- She provided a general overview of the project’s progress during the team meeting.
- The general principles of mathematics apply universally.
- The general feeling among the audience was one of excitement and anticipation.
- His general knowledge of history allowed him to excel in trivia quizzes.
- The general manager oversaw the day-to-day operations of the company.
- In general, exercise is beneficial for maintaining good health.
- The general store had a wide range of products, from groceries to clothing.
- The general election results were eagerly awaited by the entire nation.
- The general consensus was that the new policy needed further refinement.
Check also: How to Tell if Ground Beef is Bad?
Recap of what we just learned
- General Definition
- General Meaning
- Origin of General
- Real World Examples of General
- General Synonyms
- General Antonyms
- Sentences for General
In conclusion, the word “general” is a versatile term that can encompass a wide range of meanings and applications. While there may not be a single word that perfectly substitutes for “general” in all contexts, the synonyms and antonyms provided in this blog post offer a diverse array of options to convey the concept effectively. Whether it’s referring to leadership in the military, inclusiveness in a community, or the universal principles of a subject, “general” remains a fundamental word in our language, adaptable to various situations and interpretations.
If you really enjoyed the article “What are General Synonyms?,” then I would be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Have you read “Example Sentences with General?“ Which of these blogs are you reading, and how is it similar to one of them?
- Game Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Grind Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Gift Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Gun Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Growth Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Gain Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Guide Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Grateful Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Gracious Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Goal Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Gorgeous Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Flock Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Flimsy Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Flair Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Flaunt Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Furtive Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences
- Frenzy Synonyms, Antonyms, Example Sentences